Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Shannon Steen {Women in Business Series}

Shannon Steen Photography
Facebook
Website





Tell me a bit about yourself!
My name is Shannon Steen and I live on a farm with my husband, and our son Benjamin near Woodstock, Ontario Canada. My husband bought me a Canon Rebel for Christmas 6 years ago and I had *huge* dreams of becoming a photographer and having my own studio in our basement. For the first 3 years I never even shot outside of auto, and eventually started using my point and shoot more. I finally dusted it off one day and started using it and taught myself(with the help of a great friend and fellow photographer) how to use my camera. I started around our farm photographer the cows, barns, and just the beautiful scenery. I than ventured into shooting actual people two years ago and havent stopped since =).





What do you like to do when you have free time?
I love to read, take photos around the farm, and just recently bought my first horse so Im sure that I will be spening a lot of time with her.





Favorite Movies
Oh I have a lot of favourite movies. How to lose a guy in 10 days, Flicka, Country Strong, and many more=)





When did you start your business?
I started in August 2009.




Is there anything in particular that sticks out in your mind about starting your business?
I think I didnt realize how busy it can be. I have always loved photography, however combining your love for photography and than throw in a business to run on top of that makes things hard at times.


Time management? How do you do it? Is it a struggle? Recommendations?
Last year I would shoot whenever a client wanted me to shoot. It was hard to come and go with a young baby at home. This year I decided to only shoot on Saturdays and its been a lot easier. I also edit when my son is napping or at night, so that when he is awake I am with him=).



Chocolate or Vanilla!
Can I say both?? =) Depends on my mood;)



If you had advice for other women in business what would it be?
Try and stay true to yourself and not follow the new 'trend' or what other photographers are doing. Once you are shooting the way you love, your work will shine and people will book you for you.



I loved getting to know more about you Shannon! Take a minute and stop by her page and leave her some love! Fabulous photographer and fabulous woman!

xox
Sharon

1 comment:

Kim Barnes said...

I have replied by email.

Kimmie Barnes